Friday, October 20, 2017

Atlantic Coast Cycling Tour - Day 12 & 13

Day 12 - Charleston to Beaufort, SC

The ride more or less kinda sucked, but I did listen exclusively to The Tragically Hip today. I may have heard their entire library, some songs twice, and for 8 hours it didn't ever get old. Still in mourning.

Beaufort (pronounced Biewfert, not Bofort, I am told) is a very beautiful city. I can always tell as I ride in if I'm gonna like a town, and this place is fantastic. After settling in, I went for dinner and drinks at the Old Bull Tavern. It's a comfortable neat place with great food and drinks and patrons. I struck up 2 easy conversations with Tim, and then Pete, who replaced Tim's empty bar stool when he left. If I ever wanted to expand Premium Springs, I think Pete's is on board. Lol. I ended up drinking all night, and then made my way to another bar that caught my ear with a live band. I didn't get home until 2am I think, my latest and drunkest night yet. :/

Day 13 - Beaufort to Savanah, Georgia

This ride sucked the most I think. Shitty and mostly dangerous roads. I took smaller off route roads to try and avoid the Hwy 17 but I'm not sure I was any safer. All semi trucks and single lane roads with no shoulder. I was scared out of my mind most of the day.

I fell off my bike trying to avoid dyeing, as my clip-ins didn't let my feet out in time, so I finally kissed the pavement for the first time this trip. Hopefully the only.

I wasn't all that impressed with Savanah as I rode in, 'cause the entry in was so bad and ugly. Shitty roads, unkempt sidewalks, overgrown greens. Just ugly as fuck. Once I was settled and walked around, this is actually a very nice city in the downtown core. Expensive too.

No comments: