Monday, October 16, 2017

Atlantic Coast Cycling Tour - Day 9

Shallotte to Myrtle Beach

Today was a bit of a shorter day than usual, clocking in only about 80km. I planned a longer day but I had a few delays today and it's started to pour - right around Myrtle Beach ;)

I had gotten an early start, but ever since Jacksonville, NC my rear tire has a huge bubble on the side, causing my bike to wobble a lot. It's a constant fwoop fwoop fwoop. I looked at it, and the bead has come apart, so I knew I had to get it looked at as soon as possible.

Every bike shop I could fine was either closed or too far away, but this morning I found this cool bike shop in Sunset Beach called Island Hoppers Bicyles. What a bunch of nice guys. I showed them my problem, and it turns out I had three tears in the sidewalks of my rear tire. They dropped what they were doing and replaced both front and rear tires and tubes for me. They appreciate the touring guys and do what they can to help get them going asap, so awesome.

I've been following the Adventure Cycle Association's bike route and the route it takes leaves the coast for almost 3 days - which I didn't really want to, and all the forums I read suggest to do the same. While those guys were repairing my bike I asked them why that is, and they said they would never follow that route. I was so happy to hear that cause I worried about the reason a lot.  I wanted to go to Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, Charleston, and Savanah, but the ACA's route would cause me to miss it all. They confirmed I don't need to do that, and even advised me not to skip those cities.

So here I am, in Myrtle Beach. It started to rain and I like beer so I stopped here. It's a very cool city. The roads were a bit sketchy at times, and I presume that's why the ACA advises not to, but I am so glad I ignored that.


No comments: