Thursday, October 12, 2017

Atlantic Coast Cycling Tour - Day 3

Kill Devil Hills to Ocracoke

This was a long day. 130km total, plus a 45 minute ferry ride. I left at about 9am, but didn't arrive till 7pm and it was dark out. 

To get back to the mainland, there are 2 ferries. One in Hatteras, and then another in Ocracoke. The Hatteras ferry leaves every half an hour, and is 45 minutes long. 

I was going to end my day in Hatteras, but discovered that there was only 3 sailings leaving Ocracoke. 7:30am, 1:00pm and one later. If I had stayed in Hatteras, the earliest ferry I could take from Ocracoke would be 1:00, getting me to Cedar Island at about 3:30, and still another 60km to Beaufort. I had to make sure I made it all the way to Orcacoke, so I could be sure to catch the first ferry out. 

Ocracoke is a very cool, small island with great food and people on it. Glad I came all the way here. I have an early ferry to catch in the morning, and laundry, beer and food to do still.




No comments: